Thursday, February 12, 2009

That Would Have Been One Crowded Egg

I made quiche last night, and halfway through realized that we only had a handful of eggs left. Minor problem considering it was quiche and all. I promptly sent Evan off to good ol' Smiths on an egg buying quest. Despite the proximity to our apartment, we rarely go to Smiths anymore. I am offended to the core with the exorbitant prices that they charge for their substandard produce, amongst other things (like the distinct wateriness of their Vitamin D - full-fat for those non-Americans reading - milk). After Evan returned, eggs in tow, I was again reminded why we choose to grocery shop elsewhere. Sure, we pay a few cents more for our weekly carton of 18 eggs from Sunflower Market, but at least it doesn't feel as though we are eating genetically-modified eggs from mutant, hormone-stuffed, battery hens, fed and looked after so poorly that they produce flimsy-shelled eggs with pathetically tiny yolks. Anyway, this isn't a rant about my issues with Smiths, I promise. As I was adding eggs to my quiche mixture this happened:


That's right. One of those eggs had two yolks. Now I'm no "eggspert" or anything, but I am pretty sure that is not supposed to happen. I am also pretty sure that the egg white only has enough nutrients to support one embryo, so and egg with two yolk would inevitably become a failed egg. But it is funny to think about the possible scenarios if it did hatch successfully.

2 comments:

  1. That mutant chicken is so cute!

    I've gotten an egg with two yolks before, too. It kind of freaks me out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah .... a "double-yoker" isn't uncommon .... well I guess certainly where we still get free-range farm eggs in trays of 2 dozen. Actually, thinking about it, I probably didn't let you guys break the eggs into the bowl when I was cooking, so you probably never saw one ... oh no .... it is all coming back to "roost" (pun intended!!)

    ReplyDelete