Friday, November 7, 2008

Saturday is a Special Day

Last Saturday, Evan and I decided that we needed to devote some time to chores around our apartment that we don't usually do on a regular basis. We decided that we would focus on our windows. I ironed curtains (yes, Mum, you did read that right), and Evan, with a little help from Lena, washed the outside of the windows. Our windows looked as though they hadn't been cleaned on the outside since the last millennium, and we were both sick of wasting Windex and time by washing the windows on the inside and it having no impact whatsoever their apparent cleanliness. I would say that there was a fine film of filth on the outside of our windows, but that would be incorrect. There was a fine film of filth on top of a fine film of filth on three more layers of grime.

I have to confess I didn't spend all of the time ironing the curtains. For the first little while I was having coronary episodes while Evan half hung himself out of our windows (we live on the third floor of our building). I had justifiable visions of my husband slipping, falling out, and, at best, breaking his back and not being able to work or go to school. Fortunately, Evan came up with a genius idea which meant Lena could help too... and the idea did not involve rigging a hoist and dangling Lena off the roof. He managed to take the windows apart so we could clean them in our kitchen.

Lena had a blast. She really liked helping, even if she wasn't all that much help. Plus, now our windows are clean. I can't believe we were living in so much squalor! When we were done we were so amazed at how crisp everything looked, how bright the colours outside were, and the amount of light that was finally able to make it into our front room. It was fantastic!

Tomorrow we are going to trying vacuuming. Hopefully we will soon be getting our money's worth with our very own personal slave.





8 comments:

  1. Huh - that's funny. Now you can come and wash my windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you mean 'tomorrow' as in Sunday, or 'tomorrow' as in 'it's Monday in New Zealand'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I mean 'tomorrow' as in Saturday. It is Friday here remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!!! Just checking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures of Lena are so awesome! I thought your place looked great no matter what! Ryan and I keep talking about wanting to call you, and somehow still have not done it. (The two hour time difference seems to complicate things for us... although I'm sure you're used to it talking to NZ!) We miss yall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! My windows need cleaning, too. Ev, will you teach Ben to earn his keep?

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually, I think Clark has a pretty good handle on that... With our windows clean the only thing I would really neeeeed his help with is something Clark has already taught him to do... raking leaves...

    So unless you're looking to hire him out for indentured servitude or something...

    ReplyDelete