Monday, September 15, 2008

Gifted Child?

As a new second-time mother, I have found recently that I have developed a new pet-peeve: the doting parent that thinks their kid poops golden bricks. You know the ones... "My child has been holding her own head up since the day they were born", "Our pediatrician says our baby is unusually alert for his age" (apart from anything else, why do adults need pediatricians??), "Our baby started walking/crawling/sitting up at least three months before she was supposed to", "My child started reading at two", "My child knows sign language and can communicate everything she wants to me - and she is only 6 months old!". (From Evan: My child has retractable wings that pop out of its butt and it can fly!)

Ugh. Shut up already!

There was a poll that came out recently on Parenting.com that showed that 70% of parents think their child is in some way gifted. 'Gifted' has become incredibly overused in the parenting lexicon, especially when you consider that only as little as 2% of children deserve the label, according to the real experts. Even if we substitute 'above-average' for the word 'gifted' in that poll, more than half of those parents would statistically still be wrong.

Whats more, there is an increasingly abundant amount of research that suggests that the 'edu-tainment' tools (the flash-cards, the educational DVDs, the brain-building computer games, the baby sign-language stuff...) that are all the rage now have little to no effect on improving a child's intellectual ability. What they do, however, represent is a skillfully crafted marketing campaign designed to dig ever deeper into the pockets of well-meaning parents and intentionally spoiling grandparents.

OK, I admit it... with Lena I was totally insensitive to the pervasive talk of gifted children amongst parents. Heck, I was/am even guilty of it. But with Oliver, seeing how not-so-different he is compared to Lena at the same age, I am beginning to notice, and get irritated by, that whiff (stench?) of elitism.

I, personally, am convinced that the parental bragging that makes me want to vomit on a regular basis is a socially accepted form of narcissism. "My child is a genius. My child is my flesh and blood. I taught him everything he knows. Therefore, I am a genius. Look at me." Or to look at it another way, especially in light of our competitive and result-orientated society, "My child is superior to your child, therefore, I am superior to you". I call it the Transitive Superiority Parenting Complex. TSP for short.

In a similar way, with the number of times I have heard parents say that their child is in the 95th/96th/99th percentile for their height or weight, I am beginning to suspect that either the charts are woefully inaccurate, or all the physically above-average kids live in the Provo-Orem area. Although, I guess if I had been told that my beloved baby was only in the 25th percentile and was, therefore, a runty weed, I wouldn't want to brag about it either.

So, with all of that in mind, here are some pictures of my darling little boy holding up his head.





And he is only one month and one day old! He is so talented!

8 comments:

  1. oh wow your child is sooooo gifted Hannah!you must be incredibly proud, I can tell he's going to be so much more advanced than Lena already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who bragged about her baby CONSTANTLY on her blog (she already sits halfway up! she's so alert! she has such strong tummy muscles!) until I think she realized the kid isn't so "gifted" (and kind of anti-social...she doesn't get along well with others). She doesn't blog anymore. Yay for average babies! After all, that's what most of them are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two cents is that if we turn out two average kids, we'll be doing pretty darn well.

    Frankly I don't think they stand a snowball's chance in hell at normalcy, but we'll wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um Evan, your kid has butt-wings? I think your claims of "average" and "normal" are shot unless you get that taken care of right away. You know, now, before it can remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no no... he's just setting the new curve. Who's to say that he isn't extremely above average!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Hannah, it is annoying when people brag about their amazing wunderkind. But the problem is in the comparison, not in the good things they do to spend time with their kid.

    For as many parents and grandparents who buy into the "my kid will be genius" marketing trap, there are as many who truly joy in watching the development and flowering of a unique, delightful child.

    And there are lots of cool ways to teach kids these days, and it's foolish not to take advantage of them. It's just wrong to bring the competitive element into child-rearing. Bad for the kid, bad for the parent.

    Thanks for the photos of Oliver. He is amazing,even if he does have posterior appendages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you guys! Not only is your son talented, but he's extremely cute!

    Ev, on you comment about having two average kids... that's why we stopped at two. We figured better to stop at two & do okay, than to keep going blow it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Hannah, he is so beautiful!! I love those eyes! He must have good genes!

    ReplyDelete